June at Fort Desoso


June is usually a little hot for camping and this June is very hot, more like August. I know, the camper has A/C but we didn’t come here to hide out in the camper all day. I managed to get a water front slot for a few days so we went. Arrived on Monday, set up the pop up camper. We sat down by the water as there was a cooling breeze. The campsite has a charcoal grill. It’s further from the trailer than most, but I filled it up with charcoal and started heating it up. We were going to have something simple, hamburgers on the grill. I put the burgers on the grill, watched them for a few minutes, then went to the trailer to get plates. When I got back out there were a ton of seagulls all mobbed around the grill, obviously trying to figure out how to get those burgers off that red hot grill. There were so many we had to chase them off with a broom! They were determined, I think one even burned his foot trying to land on the grill. Every time you sat down to eat they would flock around you. We had to eat by the trailer that way one side was protected from the flying marauders. Some one has been feeding them as they are very aggressive. At around midnight on Monday there was a terrific electric storm. Gobs of close lightning and rain, very scary when you’re in a tent on wheels.

On Tuesday, Lynda went kayaking in the morning. I went fishing off the seawall behind the trailer and caught a little pin fish. We went to the beach in the afternoon so we could float around in the water. It was a little cooler but not by much. Back at the trailer to clean up at four and thunderstorms by five or six. Normal summer weather for Florida, hot, hot ,hot, then a thunderstorm and little cooling off. We had left over Chicken Marbella for dinner. We had cooked and froze at home and brought along. We added a very small refrigerator/freezer to the camper as the 3-way one in it is just a cooler. It will only do about 40 degrees below air temp, so it will get down to 50 if it’s 90 out. Not good for frozen food, meat or dairy. So we put the veggies, etc. in the cooler and the rest in the electric fridge. When we travel we put everything in coolers on ice. When we get there we load up the fridge and cooler.

Wednesday, we went to the beach early to beat the heat a little. We went to the North beach . We were surprised to see that they have cut down all of the huge trees (oaks?) that were out close to the beach. They provided a ton of shade and families would set up and picnic under them. Additionally they held the sand there for a very long time, some of them were three feet in diameter. Supposedly they were an invasive species, Australian Pine. They looked like southern oak to me, the campgrounds are full of them. Are they going to cut all of those down too? Anyway, Lynda enjoyed the beach and I caught and released a very small flounder. No rainstorms tonight for a change.

Getting a little hot for camping so we took the trailer to the storage yard and put the cover on it. Probably won’t go out again till September. See you then.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s